To appreciate the little things in life is to devote our focus on things that happen every day, the things that we take pleasure in experiencing but never really think about.
I’ve recently realised how important it is to practice gratitude for every little thing in my life, even the things that might seem mundane when they are happening. Thinking like this reduces negative thoughts and feelings and ultimately, makes you appreciate life just that little bit more!
I’ve been making a conscious effort to try and note down little things that make me smile and I would highly recommend everyone else to do the same!
My favourite little things
- Having fresh flowers in my room
- Driving with the windows down
- Doing my eye make up perfectly
- Catching up with old friends
- Blue skies
- Birds chirping
- Finding new music
- Changing into comfy clothes after work
- “Good Morning” texts
- A good night’s sleep
- Making someone laugh
- The first cup of tea in the morning
- A pretty view
- The sound of rain on the roof
- The smell of bacon on the grill
- Visiting new places
- When a song I love comes on the radio
- When my dog runs to the door when I get home
- When someone says something reminded them of me
- Finding a new TV show that makes me laugh until I cry
- Reminiscing childhood memories
- Looking at old photographs
The importance of appreciating the little things
It’s all well and good appreciating the big moments in life such as beginning a new relationship, getting a new job or graduating from university but it’s just as important to celebrate the smaller things.
Focusing on the small pleasures in life every day helps you to achieve bigger and better things! It’s so easy to enjoy the bigger moments in life because a lot of the time, you work harder to achieve them so the pay-off feels better but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the simple things in life like a lie-in at the weekend or wearing new pyjamas!
I feel like it’s so crucial to at least try and enjoy every little thing in your life because as cheesy as it sounds, you never know what’s around the corner. Appreciate the “good morning” texts you receive from your partner, appreciate the cup of tea your colleague makes you, appreciate finding a matching pair of socks in the morning! Just embrace every little thing that puts even the smallest grin on your face because life is a funny old thing and it can throw a bad day at you when you least expect it.
If you often psych yourself up about the biggest things in life like an incredible job interview and unfortunately, you get let down, you’ve put all your focus into this big moment and not given yourself time to appreciate the smaller things, leaving you feeling disappointed and channelling negative thoughts. Appreciate the big and small things in life and you’ll feel much more positive.
How to appreciate the little things
“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.” – Charles R. Swindoll
There are a few simple things you can do to start truly appreciating everything that happens in your life whether that’s making the perfect cup of tea or getting amazing exam results. So, why not start today?
- Keep a gratitude diary – Every time you feel grateful for something, write it down. Read it back at the end of the week to appreciate it once more! You’ll notice yourself writing things down that you would usually shrug off.
- Make someone smile – Send a text to someone to make them smile. Send the link to a song that you think they’ll enjoy or even send a card with a kind message inside to let them know how much you appreciate them! Paperchase sell lovely postcards with quotes on which are great to send to friends! It will probably make their day and you’ll feel good for it.
- Slow everything down – Make more time for yourself. If you’re anything like me and jump out of bed for work at the last minute, sloooow down. Set your alarm earlier, give yourself some extra time to make breakfast in the morning or free up some time in the evening for a bath or to read a few chapters of your book. If you stop rushing around, you’ll notice how happy the small things in your day make you.
- Start and end your day right – Go to sleep feeling grateful and wake up feeling grateful. When I have negative thoughts before bed, I’m restless and never get a good night’s sleep. I’ve started using the Headspace app before I sleep now and then I make a list in my head of everything that made me happy during the day and it makes me fall asleep feeling positive, meaning I wake up feeling positive!
Staying positive and injecting more positivity into your life keeps you in touch with everything that’s important to you. At first, it’s difficult to stick to new routines but I assure you that appreciating the little things in life and especially noting them down, makes a huge difference to your mindset!